Outside Learning Credit

You’re More Experienced. You Deserve Credit.

MCC also offers credit for college-level learning you’ve gained outside the traditional classroom. This credit can be used to reduce the actual time you spend earning your Associate’s degree either part-time or full-time.

Approved sources of credit include:

  • Transfer Credit – Credit awarded for work you’ve completed at another accredited college or university.

  • Departmental (Proficiency/Challenge) Examinations – If you can demonstrate knowledge in a particular subject, you may be able to earn credit for certain courses without attending classes. This credit is awarded via special examination given by the appropriate department.

  • Credit for Prior Learning through Life or Work Experiences (Portfolio Assessment)

    Credit can be awarded if you have verifiable college-level learning acquired through significant life or work experiences – for example, on-the-job experience, volunteer service, conferences, workshops, in-service training, travel, and independent reading. This credit can be used to reduce the actual time you’ll spend obtaining your Associate’s degree, whether you’re attending full-time or part-time.

    To earn credit, documented learning must be equivalent to courses offered at MCC. For example, a student who has worked in an accounting office as an accounts clerk for five years would not be awarded credit for having five years of office experience…but would be awarded credit based on the ability to demonstrate what they’ve learned about accounting principles.

    The Office of Experiential and Adult Learning will help you validate your learning from experience. This process consists of developing a portfolio of materials describing and documenting your knowledge of a particular subject. A booklet “Steps to Developing Your Portfolio of Prior Learning” is available in our office.

  • American Council on Education (ACE) – You can earn credit for experience gained through in-service training offered at your worksite and through education courses sponsored by professional organizations to which you belong. These educational experiences must have been evaluated for credit by ACE. ACE is nationally recognized as a major coordinating body that evaluates and makes credit recommendations for formal educational programs and courses sponsored by organizations that do not grant degrees, and which offer courses to their employees, members, or customers.

  • Credit Earned for Learning in the Military – Courses taken while in the military may translate into MCC credit.

  • Nationally Standardized Testing Programs – College-level equivalency examinations such as CLEP and DSST (formerly DANTES) taken in a variety of subjects may earn college credit, if you achieve acceptable scores. For more information on CLEP and DSST exams and local test sites, please contact the Office of Experiential and Adult Learning in Building 3, Room 108 at the Brighton Campus (585) 292-3219 or see the official CLEP website at www.collegeboard.com.