Requesting a Change of Major

Who Can Request a Change of Major?

In order to request a change of major, you must be matriculated (accepted) in a degree program and registered for classes the semester prior to the effective term of the major change. If you are applying during the summer, you must have been matriculated and enrolled for the previous spring semester.

If you do not meet these criteria or recently graduated from Monroe Community College, you must apply to change your major through the Admissions Office.

When Can I Request a Change of Major?


Major change applications are accepted until the end of the 3rd week of classes for the effective term.

Note: Dental Assisting, Dental Hygiene, Nursing and Radiologic Technology are considered high demand degree programs and have specific admission requirements, deadlines and procedures. Some additional degree programs, such as Clinical Lab Technology and Health Information Technology, accept students on a rolling basis until the major is at maximum capacity.

Where Do I Request a Change of Major?


On-line through MyMCC under Student Records. See video for directions.

Academic Advisement Center
Building 1, Room 231

Student Services Office
Room 5252

What Criteria is Used to Determine Eligibility?

Applicants must be in good academic standing and have completed all entrance requirements by the end of the semester in which they apply. Entrance requirements are listed in the MCC Catalog & Student Handbook. Applicants for competitive health related programs must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 to be considered.

How Will I Know If I Have Been Accepted?

Students will be notified by student email once their application has been approved. However, approved major changes will be rescinded if students:

  • withdraw from the College;
  • are not enrolled in classes.

How Can I Register for Classes?

After receiving a major change acceptance email, students should follow the instructions on the Registration and Records webpage for the new major.

Will a Change of Major Affect My Financial Aid?

Sometimes a change of major can affect a student's financial aid status. It is strongly recommended that applicants check with the Financial Aid Office in advance of requesting a change of major on-line.

What Courses Apply Toward My New Major?

These guidelines allow for the exclusion of C-, D+, D, D- and F grades in the computation of the Grade Point Average (GPA) for students approved for a change of major by Advisement and Graduation Services or the Admissions Office. When the major change becomes effective students will receive notification of these guidelines and a "Request for Grade Inclusion/Exclusion" form. This form must be submitted to the Records and Registration Office within 1 year from the effective date of the major change.

The following criteria determine what courses are included or excluded in the new major:

  • Any course with a grade of D+, D, D- or F will be automatically excluded.
  • Students have the option to submit the required form for inclusion of any courses excluded as a result of the change of major.
  • A grade of C- or above will automatically remain included in the GPA regardless of whether or not it fulfills a requirement in the new major. A student may, however, submit the required form for the exclusion of C- grades.
  • Excluded courses and grades will remain on the transcript in the semester taken, but will appear with "Exclude GPA data."
  • When a student is returning to a major in which he/she was previously enrolled, all courses (regardless of grades) taken while in the original major will automatically be included. This pertains to changes between the Liberal Arts advisement sequences as well as those between 2+2 majors and their corresponding MCC majors (e.g., LA30 to LA04).
  • A change of major out of Transitional Studies (TS01), English for Speakers of Other Languages (ES01) and Liberal Arts - Undeclared (LAU1-LAU5) into any other major will be considered a change into a new major. There are no major changes allowed into these majors.
  • Students who submit an Intent to Graduate application in their last semester for a major different from their matriculated major will have the same exclusions applied as in any other major change except when D grades are needed to meet graduation requirements.
  • All grades, whether included or excluded in the GPA as a result of these guidelines, can be used in the calculation of Satisfactory Academic Progress for Federal and State Financial Aid purposes at MCC.
  • Upon transfer, some academic majors at competitive Universities/Colleges may re-calculate a student's GPA by including grades previously excluded.

If you have further questions about major change procedures, please contact:

Advisement and Graduation Services
Building 1, Room 231

Office Hours:
Monday 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
Tuesday limited services from 9:00 am - 10:30 am full services 10:30 am - 4:30 pm
Wednesday, Thrusday and Friday 9:00am - 4:30 pm

(585) 292-2400