Glossary of Terms

Alumni are students who have graduated from Monroe Community College.

When you audit a course, it means you are taking the course without credit and without a grade. You do not have to take the examinations. Any student may audit a course with permission of the instructor, if seats are available the first day of classes. You must fill out the appropriate audit form and return it to the Registration and Records Office by the end of the drop/add period. Full tuition is required, and the course will appear on your transcript with a grade of Au.

Certificate of Residence
While you are a student at MCC, you must file a "Certificate of Residence" once each academic year (September-August) to certify legal residence in New York State for the past year and county residency for the past six months. The Certificate of Residence is completed and submitted during registration.

College Work Study
It is a financial aid award program, which allows students to be employed on our campuses. For more information, check with the Financial Aid Office.

Credit by Examination
You may earn up to 36 semester hours of credit toward a degree through several types of examinations.

Credit Hour
The number of hours a class is scheduled to meet each week determines the value of a course or the number of credit hours you will receive for that course. For example, ENG 101 (College Composition) involves three class hours each week and is worth three credit hours. You need a specific number of credit hours in specific courses to earn a degree or certificate in an individual program.

Cumulative Grade-Point Average
Your Cumulative Grade-Point Average (C.P.A.) is the overall average from the grades and grade points you received and the credits you earned in all the courses you have taken. Grade points range from 4.00 for an A to 0.00 for an F. You must have at least a 2.00 (a C average) to graduate.

A curriculum is a program of courses approved for a specific degree or certificate. To earn a degree or certificate in a specific program, you must complete the curriculum for that program.

Dean's List
To make the Dean's List, you must be matriculated in a program and have completed 12 or more credit hours with a grade-point average of 3.50 or better with no grades of "I" or "F". Full-time students must complete the 12 credit hours during a semester while part-time students have one full year (Fall, Spring, Summer).

You may be able to select alternative methods of time-lines for payment of your tuition. You won't know that unless you contact the Bursar's Office and a financial aid officer. Don't wait until you have acquired a bill, be informed early.

Degreeworks is MCC's computerized degree audit/advising system designed to help students achieve their academic goals efficiently. Degreeworks tracks course and requirement completion so efficiently that students and advisors can spend less time on record keeping and more time on program planning to achieve academic and career objectives.

If you do not pay your tuition and fees by a specific date, your schedule of classes will be cancelled or descheduled. If you have been descheduled, you will need to re-register if you plan to attend the semester's classes. You may not be able to register for the same courses if your original selections are filled.

Scheduled drop-add times are times you may change your original class choices by dropping a course you are registered for and/or adding a new one.

Electives are courses of your choice, which may be taken for credit toward a degree or certificate in your curriculum. They may be chosen from a wide variety of courses.

Financial Aid Office
This office helps you obtain funds for your college education. There are various scholarships and financial aid awards you may be eligible for. You won't know unless you ask, so stop in and check it out.

Full-Time Student
A full-time student is one who is enrolled for twelve (12) or more credit hours in a semester.

There is a difference between graduation and commencement. Graduation occurs when the college determines you have successfully completed all the requirements for your degree. Commencement is a ceremony; a public celebration of your accomplishment.

Graduation with Distinction
"Distinction" is defined in the dictionary as excellence. Graduation with distinction is achieved by earning a cumulative average of 3.5 or higher. It is a high academic honor and something worthy of pursuing.

Independent Study
Independent study is a learning experience available to you if you wish to extend your education beyond the standard curse structure of classroom activity as described in the College Bulletin.

Intent to Graduate
If you are a candidate for a degree or certificate, you must complete and submit an Intent to Graduate application during your final semester of study. Forms and deadline dates may be obtained from either the Office of Student Services or the Counseling and Advising Center.

Major Change
If you wish to change your major (curriculum), you must request a change of major online. The change is not official until the process has been completed. 

Matriculated Student
A matriculated student is one who has applied for and been formally accepted as a candidate for a degree in a specific curriculum. You must be matriculated in a degree program before you are eligible for a degree or certificate from the College. You must also be a matriculated student to receive financial aid.

Non-Matriculated Student
A non-matriculated student is one who is taking courses to satisfy personal needs and interests without applying for candidacy for a degree. Students attending non-matriculated are not eligible to receive financial aid. The college reserves the right to require placement testing and/or a personal interview for anyone wishing to register for classes. Non-matriculated students required to take placement testing must score at a satisfactory level according to Monroe Community College in order to register. The College also reserves the right to deny registration privileges to any student who does not comply with this procedure.

Orientation is the process of making the transition to college life. There are two types of Orientation

All College Orientation — describes the requirements and opportunities specific to MCC and includes the photo ID process.

Academic — describes a specific course of study and its requirements.

Part-Time Student
A part-time student is one who is taking fewer than twelve (12) credit hours in a semester.

Pell Grant
This is a federal form of financial aid for eligible students. How do you find out if you qualify? Check with a financial aid officer.

Priority Registration
The earliest registration dates are reserved for currently enrolled students according to the number of credit hours they have accumulated. The students with the most credit hours toward graduation register first, followed by all other students in descending order. 

Readmitted Student
A student who has stopped out, reapplied and been reaccepted by the College.

Registration is the process of selecting and "signing up" for the courses you wish to take during the semester.

Student Number
Your student number is your permanent, official college identification number. The College uses your assigned M Number for this purpose.

This is a state form of financial aid for eligible students. Find out if you are eligible by speaking with a financial aid officer.

A transcript is an official record of the courses you have taken and the grades you received. A transcript of final grades is mailed to each student at the completion of each semester.

Two Plus Two (2+2)
2 + 2 Dual Admission Programs enable students to obtain an Associate's degree at Monroe Community College with a guarantee of admission at a participating four-year college with full transfer credit and full junior status.

Withdrawal from Courses
After the third week of classes and through ten class days after the mid-semester grades are due, you can drop individual courses by completing a "withdrawal" form. The instructor's signature is required and NO REFUND is given. After this date (ten class days after mid-semester grades are due), you cannot withdraw from individual courses. You may, however, withdraw completely from the College prior to final exams.