School(s): Science, Technology, Engineering & Math (STEM)CIP Code: 41.0101
Biotechnology is best defined as the exploitation of biological systems or processes. Although this is not an entirely new concept, the current biotechnology boom is the result of recent developments in molecular biology knowledge and techniques.
The Biotechnology career program is recommended for individuals with a strong interest in biology, biochemistry and molecular genetics. Emphasis will be on the molecular biology concepts, techniques, and instrumentation that are basic to understanding the application of biological systems. Graduates of this program may be employed in health care and pharmaceutical companies, microbiological and environmental testing companies, food processing industries, and any university or industry laboratory engaged in molecular biology research and development. Students who are not seeking immediate employment have the option of transferring to a four-year institution to pursue an advanced degree.
Recommended Preparation: Students who plan to complete this program in two years should have successfully completed high school biology with a grade of B or better and high school chemistry with C or better, and three years of high school mathematics including trigonometry; high school physics is recommended.
(Housed in Biology Department)
Program Learning Outcomes
1) Communicate effectively in writing.
2) Demonstrate effective oral communication skills.
3) Solve problems related to biological topics.
4) Utilize appropriate computer skills effectively for routine laboratory applications.
5) Discuss foundational concepts in the discipline of molecular biology.
6) Discuss foundational concepts in the discipline of biochemistry.
7) Apply the principles of core molecular biology techniques commonly employed in a research/industry laboratory.
8) Conduct appropriate experiment protocols.
9) Analyze and interpret experimental data.
10) Operate laboratory equipment commonly used in a research/industry setting.
Requirements for Program Entrance
Intermediate Algebra with Trigonometry (or MTH 104 at MCC). Biology, Chemistry.
| ENG 101 College Composition OR |
ENG 200 Advanced Composition
|MTH 165 College Algebra OR higher#|
|BIO 155 General Biology I|
|CHE 151 General College Chemistry I|
First Semester Total:
|MTH 160 Statistics I OR higher*#|
|BIO 156 General Biology II|
|CHE 152 General College Chemistry II|
|MCC GENERAL EDUCATION - ARTS AND HUMANITIES (MCC-AH) ELECTIVE|
|MCC GENERAL EDUCATION - HEALTH AND WELLNESS (MCC-HW) ELECTIVE***|
Second Semester Total:
|BIO 221 Principles of Biochemistry|
|BIO 209 General Microbiology|
|BIO 225 Bioanalytical Techniques I|
Third Semester Total:
|BIO 226 Bioanalytical Techniques II|
|BIO 227 Biotechnology Seminar|
|BIO 230 Molecular Genetics|
|SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - OTHER WORLD CIVILIZATIONS (SUNY-OWC) OR |
SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - WESTERN CIVILIZATION (SUNY-WC) ELECTIVE
Fourth Semester Total: