AnyConnect is Virtual Private Network (VPN) software. A VPN connection is required to securely connect to services at Monroe Community College from off campus, such as remote access to your office desktop or access to the M Drive.
- You must be located off campus and first establish a connection to the Internet through your Internet Service Provider (ISP), such as Time Warner or Verizon, in order to use AnyConnect
- You must use Windows 10, 8.1, 8 or 7, or you must use MacOS 10.3 or later.
- You can run AnyConnect from a foreign country, but only if your Internet Service Provider (ISP) is not running a proxy server.
- You must be the administrator of your computer/laptop.
Step 1: Download AnyConnect
Note: This software can be downloaded multiple times and does not limit the number of installations. Get instructions with screen shots for Mac OS Anyconnect or Windows 10 AnyConnect.
- Right click the file link below and select Save As.
Be sure to note where the file is saved for step 2.
- Open the folder where the AnyConnect zip file has been saved to.
Right Click the file and select Extract All.
- Locate and open the file Setup.exe in the extracted files folder to begin the installation process.
Step 2: Install AnyConnect
You must be an administrator on your laptop or computer to install this software.
- Double click on the AnyConnect software icon. (If using Windows 8/8.1, from the Start screen, tap or click the Desktop tile, then tap or click the Libraries icon in the Navigation pane. Tap or click Downloads, then double-click on the AnyConnect software icon.)
- Click on Next on the Welcome screen.
- Click on the bubble beside I accept the terms in the License Agreement.
- Click Next on the End-User License Agreement screen.
- Click Install on the Ready to Install screen.
- Depending on your computer’s security level you may be prompted by Windows to allow the AnyConnect client to change your PC. Accept the prompt to continue.
- Click Finish to complete the installation.
Step 3: Connect with AnyConnect
You must first be connected to the Internet using an Internet Service Provider (ISP) such as Spectrum/Time Warner, Frontier, or Verizon. Each time you want to access Monroe Community College services from off campus, connect to myVPN with AnyConnect.
- Open your AnyConnect Software:
- Mac OS X: Select Finder > Applications> Cisco > Cisco AnyConnect.
- Windows 7/Vista/Ubuntu Linux: Double-click the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility software icon.
- Windows 8.1/8:
- Swipe or mouse to the top corner of the right side of your device display. The Charms Bar will appear.
- Click the Search Charm.
- Swipe to the left or press Esc to close the Charms Bar.
- Click or tap on the AnyConnect Secure Mobility software app.
- Windows 10: Click in the search box and enter AnyConnect Secure Mobility.
- Enter myvpn.monroecc.edu and click Connect.
- Enter your myMCC username and password in the Username and Password (Passcode on Mac) fields.
Step 4: Connect to your PC or the M drive
Remote Desktop: Once you are connected you can access your desktop PC using Windows Remote Desktop. Get instructions with screen shots for Windows 10 Remote Desktop.
To start remote desktop:
- Open the Start Menu > Search > enter mstsc.exe: Double click the mstsc.exe icon.
- In the Remote Desktop box enter the decal number of your office desktop: Click Connect.
- Enter your myMCC username and password in the Username and Password box.
Mac users will need to download a Remote Desktop App to connect to their office machine.
Microsoft Remote Desktop 8.0 is available from the iTunes store on apple.com.
Connecting to the M Drive with Windows : If you do not have a dedicated desktop PC at MCC you can still connect to the M Drive. Below is a one-time procedure that will map the drive on your PC. It can be done once you have established your VPN connection with Cisco AnyConnect.
- Open File Explorer and click the Computer tab.
- Click Add a network location icon. The Add Network Location window will appear.
- Click the Next button.
- Click Choose a custom network location icon and then click the Next button.
- In the Internet or network address field, type the path to the shared M Drive folder you need from the options below. Note: You will have to do follow this entire procedure to map each folder.
- Click the Next button.
- Type a name for the network location (or leave it as it appears), then click the Next button.
- Click the Finish button. A shortcut to the network location will appear under Network locations when you click the This PC icon in File Explorer.
Connecting to the M Drive from a Mac OS: If you do not have a dedicated desktop PC at MCC you can still connect to the M Drive. Get instructions with screen shots for Connecting to the M Drive with a Mac.
- After a successful connection to the Cisco Client, the Cisco Client icon with a lock next to it should appear in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
- If your top bar does not say Finder next to the apple logo then open up Finder from the dock at the bottom of your screen.
- Once you open Finder, at the top of your screen click on the Go tab and then click Connect to Server.
In the Connect to Server dialogue box type in the address listed below into the server address field and then click on the + button to add the address to your favorites.
Type in this address: smb://mdrive.monroecc.edu
- Click Connect.
- Enter your MCC username and password.
- A new window will appear on the desktop that will give you access to the M-Drive folders.
- To access the M-Drive again in the future, simply open the Cisco AnyConnect Client, click Connect. Then open finder, click Go, click Connect to Server and select the smb://mdrive.monroecc.edu address and hit Connect.
If you have any questions or problems, please call the help desk at 292-8324.