INDEPENDENT STUDY is a learning experience available to students who wish to extend their education beyond the standard course structure of classroom activity as described in the *College Catalog and Student Handbook. It is an opportunity for a student to work independently under the guidance of a faculty sponsor and is not intended as a substitute for an existing course. When the student working with a faculty sponsor agrees to the Independent Study, the faculty sponsor will initiate the Independent Study Application. Course registration and student notification for an approved Independent Study course is handled by Registration and Records
Faculty Senate Resolutions (2007)
|2.7.1||Definition: Independent Study at MCC is a credit bearing study done by an individual student under the sponsorship of a faculty member who provides initial guidance, criticism, review and final evaluation of student performance. Existing courses in the MCC Catalog cannot be offered as Independent Studies.
|2.7.2||Independent Study may be taken (in accordance with Student Program resolution Section 1.1.3) as a
(1) Program requirement
(2) Program elective
(3) General Elective
No more than 15 Independent Study credits may be granted toward a degree. Credit or a
project will be determined jointly by the student, faculty sponsor and department
chairperson to accurately reflect the time and work involved. A recommended guide for
credit allocation is one credit hour for the equivalent of every forty-five sessions of
student academic activities of 50 minutes duration each (37.5 clock hours).
|For more information, click here for Faculty Senate Resolutions.|
Independent Study Application – Faculty Sponsor Initiate
The Application For Independent Study is an electronic proposal form. To access the Independent Study Form go to the Curriculum Database:
Open Curriculum database
- Click on Access the Curriculum Database
- Click on Create Proposals to access the Independent Study proposal form.
- Enter required information in asterisk fields (*)and click Save before using Back button.
- To Edit the form, click on the Edit button.
- When required fields are complete, click on Edit button then Submit button located in the Status tab.
- The proposal review and approval includes the Dept. Chair, Division Dean, Director Adult and Experiential Learning, Curriculum Dean and Associate Director Registration and Records who will enter the IS registration and notify the student.
Use HELP icon if you need assistance or contact the Curriculum Office.
Building 1, Room 309
Hours: 8:45 a.m.-4:45 p.m.
Phone: (585) 292-2199