CIP Code: 12.0505
MCC Program Code: HM09
NYSED Code (BRI): 01246
The Culinary Arts Certificate program is for the student who is primarily interested in a Culinary Arts concentration without the broad liberal arts background. A graduate of the Culinary Arts Certificate program will have established a basis for a career in the food service industry, and will qualify for a position as an entry-level culinary professional in a commercial or institutional food service operation.
(Housed in the Hospitality Department)
1) Demonstrate the ability to apply proper food handling techniques.
2) Apply different cooking techniques and predict their outcome.
3) Discuss current trends in the food service industry from a menu planning perspective.
4) Assess the factors that influence healthy food choices throughout the life cycle.
5) Demonstrate the basic fundamentals of cooking in a professional kitchen.
Algebra (1 year high school math or placement into Level 4 Math at MCC).
|Distribution Requirements||Credit Hours|
|FIRST SEMESTER: 16 Credit Hours|
|FSA 103 Culinary Arts I: Fundamentals of Food Preparation||5|
|FSA 106 Food Safety and Sanitation||1|
|FSA 107 Menu Planning||3|
|HSP 102 Hospitality Service||4|
|FOOD SERVICE ADMINISTRATION ELECTIVE*||3|
|SECOND SEMESTER: 15 Credit Hours|
|FSA 117 Basic Consumer Nutrition||3|
|FSA 203 Culinary Arts II: Advanced Food Production||5|
|C E 260 Cooperative Education-Hospitality Management*||4|
|FOOD SERVICE ADMINISTRATION ELECTIVE**||3|
Building 3, Room 155
M-F 8:45 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Fax: (585) 292-3826