Graduation FAQ

Q: Do I have to apply to graduate?
A: Yes, every student must complete an Intent to Graduate Application. Graduation is NOT automatic.

Q: When is the best time to file my Intent to Graduate Application?
A: Once you complete the registration process for your last semester at MCC.

Q: Where can I find an Intent to Graduate Application?
A: There are several locations:

Brighton Campus:

  • Advisement & Graduation Services, bldg 1-231
  • Career Program students may obtain a form from their Department Chairs.

Damon City Campus:

  • Student services Office - 5-252
  • Department Chairs


Q: How will I know I have met all of the requirements for my program?
A: Once you complete the Intent to Graduate Application, the Graduation Office will do a preliminary audit and send you a letter informing you of your status.

Q: What if a course I need to fulfill my requirements is not being offered and my advisor recommends another course to substitute for that requirement?
A: If your advisor recommends a course other than the required course, the Department Chair will need to approve the substitution and forward a Substitution Waiver Form to Advisement & Graduation Services, bldg 1-231

Q: What do I do if I attended another school and want to have a course transferred to MCC to meet the requirements for graduation in my program?
A: You will need to have an official transcript sent to the MCC Graduation Office Advisor. The advisor will work with an admissions counselor will then determine if the transfer course is acceptable.

Q: If I have one or two courses to complete during the summer, can I still graduate in May?
A: You will not be certified for graduation until you complete all of your course requirements. However it is possible to participate in the Commencement Ceremony if you complete all of your requirements by August 31. If you wish to participate, you may file an early attendance application along with your Intent to Graduate Application, which may be obtained and completed at the graduation office at the Brighton Campus or at the student services office at DCC. This should be done during the first week of May. When making this request you will need to provide the Graduation Office with a paid schedule for the courses for Summer Session that will complete the requirements for your degree, and have a minimum GPA of 2.0.

Contact Information

Brighton Campus
Building 1, Room 231
Monday -Friday: 8:45 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Phone: (585) 292-2400
Fax: (585) 292-3882