The following categories contain links to selected sources on the web pertaining to topics covered in the course HTL 105 Hotel Front Office Operations. Although every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy and content of these websites the usual evaluation measures should be taken by the researcher. For tips on how to evaluate information found on websites visit our Web Site Evaluation guide.
Find Articles using MCC Libraries Databases
MCC Libraries subscribe to a number of online databases you can use to search for articles on your particular topic. Some databases are full-text and therefore have entire articles from certain magazines, journals, and newspapers available directly online for you to print from the computer.
Each library database also contains a "Help" section which provides search tips, links to tutorials, and sometimes citing style guidelines.
Off-campus access to these resources is restricted to members of the MCC community.
A username/password is required.
Students: Enter your MCC e-mail username and password when signing in from off-campus. Your username is the first part of your e-mail address up to @. For example: jdoe001. Visit the student e-mail page to find your e-mail username and address. Can't login? Reset your password.
Note: The MCC Libraries Find Articles & Other Information web page provides access to additional databases not listed below.
The following databases are useful for researching hospitality related topics:
Print and Online Hospitality Publications
- Hospitality Sales & Marketing Periodicals, Magazines, and Journals - Links to these publications courtesy of the Hospitality Sales and Marketing Association International (HSMAI).
- Hospitality Industry Publications - Links to a wide range of online hospitality publications courtesy of HospitalityNet.
- Business Traveller - "The leading magazine around the world for the frequent business traveller, aimed at entertaining corporate travelers, saving them money and making their travelling life easier."
- Hotel & Motel Management - This site contains information on hospitality trends, press releases, plus online access to current and past issues of Hotel & Motel Management magazine.
- Lodging - "The official magazine of the American Hotel & Lodging Association. Each issue examines critical trends and state-of-the-art solutions being used by leading lodging executives."
- Meetings & Conventions - The online companion to the print magazine, " M&C Online offers in-depth features, informative columns, destination insights, news analysis, original research and much more!"
MCC Libraries subscribe to the following newspapers in print which contain articles on travel related topics. The most recent issue of The Wall Street Journal (Eastern edition) is available at the Library Checkout/Reserve Desk. The most recent issues of The New York Times, and USA Today are located in the newspaper rack across from the Leisure Reading seating area on the Main Floor of the LeRoy V. Good Library (Brighton campus). To locate holdings information for older issues search the MCC Library Catalog.
Full-text articles from The New York Times and USA Today are also available through the "Custom Newspapers" online article database accessible from the Library Find Articles and Other Information web page.
- The Sunday edition of The New York Timescontains a "Travel" section. Some featured stories are also available directly online from the New York Times website.
- The Friday edition of The Wall Street Journal (Eastern edition) contains the "Weekend Journal" section which explores personal interests of business readers including real estate and travel.
- The Weekend Edition of The Wall Street Journal (Eastern edition) features the "Pursuits" section which focuses on lifestyle and leisure. Holdings information for this newspaper is available in the MCC Library Catalog.
Hospitality News & Events
Professional Associations & Organizations
- All Hotels.com - Links to hotels around the world.
- Hilton Hotels
- Hyatt Hotels & Resorts
- Marriott Hotels - In addition to providing information about Marriott hotels, resorts & suites this site also provides access to other Marriott lodging brands such as Fairfield Inn, Residence Inn, and Courtyard.
- InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) - The IHG includes the following brands: InterContinental Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts, Hotel Indigo, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express Staybridge Suites, and Candlewood Suites.
- Microtel Inns
- Radisson Hotels & Resorts
- Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide - Book at the official site for Sheraton, Westin, Le Meridien, W Hotels, Luxury Collection, St. Regis, Four Points, Aloft, Element Hotels.
- Wyndham Worldwide - Hotels, Vacation Ownership, Vacation Exchange & Rentals
Technology in the Hospitality Industry
- HT Magazine.com (Hospitality Technology Magazine) - provides access to online articles as well as Industry Studies on the status of technology in restaurant and lodging businesses.
- HITEC Online - Hospitality Industry Technology Exposition and Conference (HITEC) Online is published by the Hospitality Financial & Technology Professionals (HFTP) organization. "HITEC Online provides a variety of resources geared around IT (Information Technology) issues in the global hospitality industry."
Safety & Security
- AirSafe.com - "Critical information for the traveling public."
- AviationWeek.com - AviationWeek.com serves as the web portal to the print publication Aviation Week. It provides access to aviation related news, conference information, and job listings for aviation and aerospace professionals worldwide.
- Travel.State.gov - This site from the U.S. State Department, Bureau of Consular Affairs provides tips for american citizens traveling or living abroad abroad, foreign citizens traveling to the U.S., and lists travel warnings.
- U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) - Links to DOT websites providing information on Air, Land, and Sea Safety.
Contacting the Teacher
Nancy Miller-Randall teaches FSA 107 Menu Planning. Students can contact her through her MCC e-mail address email@example.com.