The following categories contain links to selected sources on the web pertaining to topics covered in the course TVL 275 Current Issues in Travel & Tourism. Although every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy and content of these websites the usual evaluation measures should be taken by the researcher. For tips on how to evaluate information found on websites visit our Web Site Evaluation guide.
Professional Associations and Organizations
Professional Associations and organizations serve as valuable sources of information for their particular industry by providing access to current news, information about industry products, services and trends, and special research reports. They also sponsor continuing education opportunities such as annual conferences and other training events for their members. Many also publish journals dedicated specifically to their area of interest (often known as trade/industry journals), and online newsletters that you can subscribe to through their websites to receive the latest travel industry news and information.
Find Articles using MCC Libraries Databases
MCC Libraries subscribe to a number of online databases you can use to search for articles on your particular topic. Some databases are full-text and therefore have entire articles from certain magazines, journals, and newspapers available directly online for you to print from the computer.
Each library database also contains a "Help" section which provides search tips, links to tutorials, and sometimes citing style guidelines.
Off-campus access to these resources is restricted to members of the MCC community. A username/password is required.
Students: Enter your MCC e-mail username and password when signing in from off-campus. Your username is the first part of your e-mail address up to @. For example: jdoe001. Visit the student e-mail page to find your e-mail username and address. Can't login? Reset your password.
Faculty/Staff: Use the username/password combination needed for logging on to your computer at MCC.
NOTE: The MCC Libraries Find Articles & Other Information web page provides access to additional databases not listed below.
The following databases are useful for researching travel related topics:
Print and Online Travel Publications
The following print periodicals have companion websites which provide access to some full-text articles directly online. The MCC Libraries article databases also provide access to additional full-text articles available in these and other publications.
* Search the MCC Library Catalog to locate holdings information for these titles the library also subscribes to in print.
- Hospitality Industry Publications - Additional links to a wide range of online hospitality publications courtesy of HospitalityNetTM.
- Jax Fax Travel Marketing magazine - The online version of this leading monthly travel trade publication contains articles about travel destinations throughout the world, maps, special interest directories, and an event calendar which lists events of interest to suppliers and travel industry executives.
MCC Libraries subscribe to the following newspapers in print which contain articles on travel related topics. The most recent issue of The Wall Street Journal (Eastern edition) is available at the Library Checkout/Reserve Desk. The most recent issues of The New York Times, and USA Today are located in the newspaper rack across from the Leisure Reading seating area on the Main Floor of the LeRoy V. Good Library (Brighton campus). To locate holdings information for older issues search the MCC Library Catalog.
Full-text articles from The New York Times and USA Today are also available through the "Newspaper Source Plus" online article database accessible from the Library Find Articles and Other Information web page.
- The Sunday edition of The New York Times contains a "Travel" section. Some featured stories are also available directly online from the New York Times website.
- The Friday edition of The Wall Street Journal (Eastern edition) contains the "Weekend Journal" section which explores personal interests of business readers including real estate and travel.
- The Weekend Edition of The Wall Street Journal (Eastern edition) features the "Pursuits" section which focuses on lifestyle and leisure. Holdings information for this newspaper is available in the MCC Library Catalog.
- The Friday edition of USA Today features a "Destinations & Diversions" section as part of its "Life" section. The USA Today newspaper also features a Travel section on its website.
Other Sources of Hospitality and Travel Industry News
News Digests and Newswire Services
- ABC News Travel - Travel news, travel information, slideshows and photos.
- CBS News Travel - This site features current travel news, photos and videos.
- CNN Travel - "Find travel news, pictures and video from CNN; Learn about the best destinations, the best ways to get there, the travel business, vacation tips from CNN's Travel Adviser, and more."
- MSNBC Travel - Provides world travel news, and information on international, consumer and business air travel deals and destinations.
- ASTA SmartBrief - Designed specifically for travel agents, ASTA SmartBrief is a free, daily e-mail newsletter providing the latest need-to-know travel industry news and information. Click the "Archive" link in the left column to access more news stories.
- Business Travel News - A one-stop resource, delivering news and research to corporate travel planners.
- HSMAI Foundation eConnect - "One-stop portal to global information and resources on hospitality sales and marketing topics. Provided by the Hospitality Sales & Marketing Association International (HSMAI) Foundation."
- e-tid.com: Travel and Hospitality Industry Digest - "First launched in 1990, e-tid.com is a business travel news digest covering all sectors of the travel industry from aviation and tour operating to hotel and cruise."
- HospitalityNetTM - All of Hospitality on the Web, the online resource for the Hospitality Industry, featuring all latest hospitality and hotel news, events, job opportunities, discussion forums, vendors and industry links.
- Hospitality Trends - This site provides access to news articles on such topics as: security, technology, and travel trends.
- HotelMarketing.com - "Monitoring online travel, the hospitality industry and Internet marketing news."
- Hotel News Resource - This site has a searchable database of full text news articles on the hospitality industry. Article archives date back to 2000. The entire archive is searchable or can be browsed by category. News categories are: hotel, environmental, development, sales & marketing, trends, technology, financial, Internet, and regional news.
- Hotel Online - "The hospitality industry's on-line meeting place, providing the latest and most relevant news, trends, discussion forums, employment opportunities, and classified advertising available anywhere."
- Travel Agent Central - This site provides access to information on destinations, suppliers, trip types & activities, industry trends, and multimedia.
- Travel Daily News - Daily news for the international travel and tourism industry.
- Yahoo! Travel - Current articles on travel related topics plus travel guides and destination information.
- Travel Industry Wire - Travel industry news, trends and resources.
- TravelMole - The first online community for the Travel and Tourism Industry, established in 1998. Today TravelMole.com and TravelMole.TV publishes 15 eNewsletters and broadcasts hundreds of videos to over 450,000 travel & tourism industry professional registered members and subscribers, as well as 30 million consumers in 132 countries. Registration is free and required in order to read the full stories posted in the "Breaking Travel News" section of the website.
Work, Study, Living, Travel Abroad
- Transitions Abroad - This web portal provides information on living, studying, traveling, working, and volunteering abroad, and access to recent and back issues of TAzine, the Transitions Abroad Webzine.
Local Tourism Information
- Greater Rochester Visitors Association - The official tourism site of Rochester, New York. It provides access to information on area hotels, restaurants, group tours, and things to do in the region.
- Finger Lakes Tourism Alliance - The official regional website for Finger Lakes tourism and travel. It provides access to information on places to stay, places to eat, things to do, and news/articles.
- Your Finger Lakes Visitors Connection - An organization dedicated to promoting tourism and travel to Ontario county and the Finger Lakes region. It features information on the Finger Lakes lifestyle including: what to do, where to stay, where to eat, fun stuff, maps and weather. The Media Room provides access to news stories that have appeared on the website over the last two years.
Other Helpful Travel Information
- Serious Eats - "A website focused on celebrating and sharing food enthusiasm through blogs and online community." It contains global dining advice, tips, recipes, recommendations, news and opinions.
- Travelistic.com - This site provides links to many types of travel videos including user uploads, tourist board videos, and professional content. This site also features a blog.
- Vayama - The first site100% dedicated to booking international flights online. Vayama features a map-based interface tool to help you book your international flight plans, a 3-D seat map, destination information such as: city guides, detailed city maps, ground transportation, and travel blogs.
- Hotelicopter.com - "Hotelicopter was founded in 2006 to build the world's leading hotel search platform. Today, the hotelicopter networkTM connects 160,000 hotels to millions of travelers actively engaged in booking a hotel room online."
Contacting the Teacher
Janet Zinck teaches the TVL 275 Current Issues in Travel & Tourism course. Students taking the TVL 275 course can contact her by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org and by telephone at (585) 292-2187 and (585) 292-2598.