Placement Testing at the Brighton Campus
You may schedule an appointment online or take advantage of posted walk-in hours.
Please click your preferred method of testing:
The Brighton Campus Placement Testing Center is located in Building 3, Room 107 in the Campus Center.
About the Placement Tests:
ACCUPLACER is produced by The College Board. It is an adaptive Internet-Based Test (IBT). The computer uses the student’s answers to determine the level of difficulty of each successive question. Tests are not time-limited and scores are generated immediately after the test is completed. Reading Comprehension and Sentence Skills are used for English placement, and Elementary Algebra and either Arithmetic or College-Level Math are used for math placement.
CELSA is a Computer-Based Test (CBT) for speakers of other languages (ESOL) produced by the Association of Classroom Teacher Testers (ACTT). It is a timed, 45-minute test. Scores are available immediately after testing.
Ability-to-Benefit (ATB) Testing:
Students who do not possess a U.S. high school diploma or equivalent may be required to complete a version of the CELSA and/or ACCUPLACER to qualify for financial aid benefits.
Required Before Testing:
- An MCC identification number (M number).
- A current photo ID.
- A request that you test from Admissions or an academic department.
- The Services for Students with Disabilities Office must approve test accommodations prior to testing.
Strongly Encouraged Before Testing:
- Prepare for your test. Testing is important because your scores will determine where you can begin your course of study, and in most cases you will take the placement test only once. Scores are valid for 3 years.
- Get at least 7 to 9 hours of rest the night before the test and eat a balanced meal.
Items Prohibited in the Testing Center (coin lockers are available outside the testing center-- a quarter is required):
- Personal belongings.
- Electronic devices
- Cell phones.
- Food and drink.
- Children and visitors.
The College offers students a variety of free or inexpensive resources to brush up for the test prior to taking it for the first time. We highly recommend students to test when they are well-rested, and only after a thorough review of the ACCUPLACER study guides.
In addition to reviewing carefully and getting plenty of rest for these tests, be sure to take your time while testing and do your best. Your test results will determine the courses you may take at MCC.