Mathmatics Sample Questions
Preparing For the Mathematics Tests
All students will begin with Accuplacer’s Elementary Algebra Test. The test is adaptive. If you do very well on the Elementary Algebra test you will automatically advance to the College-Level Math test. The results of these two tests will place you somewhere between Intermediate Algebra and Calculus. If you don’t do as well on Elementary Algebra, you will automatically go on to the Arithmetic test and be placed somewhere between Arithmetic and College Algebra.
An online review resource highly recommended by MCC for the Mathematics placement test is the Khan Academy, login in instructions may be found at: https://www.Monroecc.edu/go/khan . Students can make use of an extensive library of content, including interactive challenges, assessments, and videos from any computer with access to the web. Students may practice Mathematics at their own pace with Khan Academy’s adaptive assessment environment. You can start at 1 + 1 and work your way into calculus or jump right into whatever topic needs some brushing up. Sign in and start reviewing today prior to your testing!
- Arithmetic questions | answers
- Elementary Algebra questions | answers
- Free Sample ACCUPLACER Questions
A Study Guide for the Mathematics Accuplacer
- Elementary Algebra - MTH 098 questions | answers
- Intermediate Algebra - MTH 104 questions | answers
- College Algebra - MTH 165 questions | answers
- Pre-Calculus - MTH 175 questions | answers
Here are some steps you can take to be prepared for the tests:
- Go to the Accuplacer website page for students. http://accuplacer.collegeboard.org/students, and click on the Free Sample Questions link. Scroll down past the reading and writing tests to find the mathematics tests.
- Try to do all of the problems in the Arithmetic Test. Be sure to check your answers by scrolling down to the bottom of the document.
- For any questions you missed on the Arithmetic Test, review similar problems from an Arithmetic textbook or use one of the resources listed below. For a list of all topics to review for the arithmetic test, go to http://accuplacer.collegeboard.org/students, click on the Accuplacer Tests tab, and then on Arithmetic to expand a list of topics on the test.
- When you are comfortable with Arithmetic, try the problems on the Elementary Algebra Test. Check your answers and review problems similar to those you missed using an Elementary Algebra textbook or one of the resources listed below. For a list of all topics to review for the Elementary Algebra test, go to http://accuplacer.collegeboard.org/students, click on the Accuplacer Tests tab, and then on Elementary Algebra to expand a list of topics on the test.
- When you are comfortable with the Elementary Algebra problems, look at the College-Level Math Test. The problems will likely be unfamiliar to students who have not taken Advanced Algebra and Trigonometry and, if so, need not be attempted. If you have successfully completed Advanced Algebra and Trigonometry, do as many of the problems as seem familiar to you and check your answers. Review problems similar to the ones you have missed using an Advanced Algebra and Trigonometry or Precalculus textbook, or one of the resources listed below. For a list of all topics to review for the College-Level Math test, go to http://accuplacer.collegeboard.org/students, click on the Accuplacer Tests tab, and then on College-Level Math to expand a list of topics on the test.
- When you have finished your review, you might want to try additional practice tests found in the resources listed below.
Mathematics Review Resources Printed Material:
- Bob Miller’s Math for Accuplacer, Bob Miller, Research & Education Association, Inc. 2010. This book includes review of the topics on the three Accuplacer Math exams as well as additional practice tests for each exam.
- GED Review Book for arithmetic
- SAT I Review Books (publishers include: Arco, Kaplan, Nova and Barrons) for arithmetic and elementary algebra