Paramedic Education at Monroe Community College, Rochester, New York
1) It's 2:15 AM is the patient under the influence of drugs or alcohol, is he in shock, is he competent to refuse care?
2) The vehicle struck a brick wall a very non-yeilding structure. Note buckeled hood.
3) It's cold outside in Feb. Is the patient hypothermic? a condition that could alter his judgement and will give him a coagulopathy. If he is bleeding internally, hypothermia worsens his chances.
4) Is that a bullet hole on the roof of the truck? An intensive exam of his body should ensue.
5) The windshield suggest C-spine, head, nose and mandibular damage.
6) The bent steering wheel suggests chest and or abdominal injury
7) No apparent seatbelts visible, are there any?, where they used?
8) Older model truck, not designed to crumple like new trucks are. No airbag.
9) Bent dash board suggests hand or arm injury.
10) Bent Headlight control suggest left knee injury.
Updated: January 10, 1998