Non-high school graduates who complete 24 college credits within the following distribution, with a GPA of 2.0 or higher are eligible for their New York State General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D.).
Requirements for G.E.D.
- 6 credit hours in English language arts including writing, speech and/or literature.
- 3 credit hours in mathematics.
- 3 credit hours in natural science.
- 3 credit hours in social science.
- 3 credit hours in humanities.
- 6 credit hours in any credit bearing course applicable for college degree program requirements.
Once a student has completed 24 college credits, they should apply for their equivalency diploma through the Registration and Records Office. More information is available NYSED website.
Starting July 1, 2012, if a student does not have a high school diploma or recognized equivalent, they are not eligible to receive Federal financial aid.