Many high demand courses have electronic wait lists available. When a class reaches maximum enrollment capacity, the course is said to be “closed”. A student will not be able to register for a "closed" class but will be given an option to be put on a Wait list also referred to as being "waitlisted".
When a spot opens up in the class, the student will automatically and immediately be notified by email (MCC) to register. The student will be given a certain amount of time (see schedule below) to respond and register themselves into the class, changing their status from “Waitlist” to “Web Registered”. If the student does not respond before the deadline, they will be dropped from the waitlist.
The automatic Waitlist notification process is turned off the Monday after classes start (At the end of the Add Period). At this time, the student must contact the instructor about getting "greenslipped" into the class.
A student’s real-time waitlist position, notification time and status is listed in the Student Detail Schedule in Self-Service Banner / MyMCC.
Students' Now Manage their Waitlists!
As in the past, a student can waitlist for as many of the same classes (sections of a course) as they want. There is no limit. The waitlist system does not check for things like time conflict, prereqs or coreqs. This is done at time of registration.
Our Automated waitlist process allows a student to register for one class (i.e. ENG 101-100) and continue to stay on the waitlist for other instances of the class (i.e. ENG 101-200) that may become available. If and when a spot becomes available in the waitlisted class, the student must drop the previous instance of the class (i.e. ENG 101-100) and add the register for the new one (i.e. ENG 101-200). When the student does attempt to register for the new course, the registration process will check for time conflicts, prereqs, coreqs, holds and more.
>> FALL 2015 Waitlist Notification Schedule
(for Full-Term classes)
- 3+ day notifcation: March 9 - August 24
- 24 hour notification: August 31 - September 14
- Waitlist system turned off
Traditional classes: September 14 (@ end of business day)
Online / SLN Courses: September 3
Late Start Classes: the day before the class begins
- Instructor Greenslips(requires instructor permission)
Traditional classes: Starts September 15
Online / SLN courses: Starts September 4
Note: If a greenslip is submitted early, they will be held and processed starting on the dates noted above.
>>SPRING 2015 Waitlist Notification Schedule
(for Full-Term classes)
- 3+ day notifcation: October 13, 2014 - January 12, 2015
- 24 hour notification: January 13 - 25, 2015
- Waitlist system turned off: January 25, 2015 (1 day prior to end of Add Period)
- Instructor Greenslips: Starting January 27, 2015 (please do not submit early)
- For late starting classes, the Waitlist Notification process is turned off the day before the class begins.
>>SUMMER 2015 Waitlist Notification Schedule
(for both sessions)
- The Waitlist will be managed manually
- Students and Instructors will be emailed once the student has been registered into the associated class
>>After the Waitlist Notification Period - Manual Processing
- After the Automatic Waitlist Notification System (AWL) is turned off (for full-term classes) Registration & Records will manually move students into classes accepting requests (greenslips) from Instructors. Students can’t manage their waitlist schedule during this period.. The student needs to come in person to Registration & Records or go through an instructor or advisor to register.
- When processing manual changes to students' schedules (i.e. students registered into a class OR dropped from one class and added into another), the student is dropped from all sections of the same course. For students who are already registered in a class, they will be dropped from all other sections of the same course.
The Lecture component of a Lab / Lecture class is also excluded. The Lab drives the waitlist for the Lab / Lecture class. Once a spot opens up in the Lab, a student will be sent an email to register for the Lab component of the class. At this time, the student should register for the associated Lecture or they will receive a "link error".
- Students - Automatic Waitlist Tutorial pdf
- Faculty - Automatic Waitlist Tutorial pdf
- Advisors - Check Wait List order through Self Service. Go to:
> Faculty Services > CRN Selection > Summary Wait List OR Detail Wait List
- Waitlisting for a Lab / Lecture combo (Two CRN class)
- When waitlisting for a lab/lecture combo which has two distinct CRNs, you only need to waitlist for the lab. You cannot waitlist for both the lab and lecture. Once a spot becomes open in the lab, you can add the lecture at the time when you register for the lab.
- How Do I Drop myself from the Waitlist?
- Before the First Day - You can add and remove yourself from the waitlist until the first day of classes without any penalty.
- After Classes Have Started - You can remain on a class waitlist up to one week after the first day of class. At the one week mark, the Registration office will purge or remove all waitlisted students. You do not need to remove yourself from a waitlist.
Being on the waitlist means that you have not been officially registered for classes. We recommended that you attend your class, especially if you are close to the top (#1-3) of the waitlist.
Once the automatic waitlist process is discontinued for the semester (i.e. Add deadline), the student must request permission from the instructor to be admitted into a “closed” course. If the instructor grants permission, a “green slip” must be signed by the instructor and chairperson. Since policy on “green slips” differs among departments, you should contact the faculty member or department staff during the registration period.
For faculty granting eGreenslips (electronic green slips), an email should be sent to 'Greenslips@monroecc.edu' AND a 'CC' to your department chair. Please provide the following infomation in your email:
- In ‘Subject’: CRN, Student Name, SLN (if applicable)
- In ‘Body’:
- Term/ Semester (i.e. Spring '15)
- Student Name
- M# (i.e. M00999999)
- CRN (i.e.23453)
- Class Section (i.e. PSY 101-001)
Note: If we receive a Greenslip early, we will hold your request until the override period has begun.
Please call (585) 292-2300 or email Registration@MonroeCC.edu