So...Your Student is in Housing...Now What?
Check out the Important Dates
- We communicate regularly with your student through their MCC student email. Your student is responsible for checking this email account to stay abreast of what is happening. Not checking their student email does not excuse them from responsibility for any information that we communicate through this means.
- There are almost always financial implications if your student decides to leave housing, especially if they are missing deadlines and not responding to notifications. Before any decision is made to leave housing, your student should speak to someone in the Housing and Residence Life Office. Additionally, any requests to leave housing must be made in writing.
- Parking permits are required for the residence hall lots. Purchasing a parking permit must be done in person at the campus center service desk window. Students should have a copy of their registration and photo ID when purchasing the permit. DO NOT purchase a permit online or with the college parking office - that is the commuter permit.
- If your student is experiencing issues in housing, there is an expected way for them to report:
- Emergencies: Should immediately go to Public Safety 585-292-2911
- Non Emergencies:
- Attempt to resolve with Resident Assistant intervention
- If RA does not resolve, student should go to the Resident Director
- If the RD does not resolve, student should come to Housing Office and speak to the Assistant Director
- Students should always lock their bedroom and suite doors. Thefts do occur when students leave valuables in the open or fail to lock their doors. The college is not responsible for replacing any stolen items.
- Student mail is delivered right to the student's building. This is great - a care package is delivered almost right to their doors. HOWEVER:
- DO NOT SEND ANY MAIL OVER NIGHT. It will not arrive to your student the next day. Mail comes to Henrietta -> then the college -> then the Housing & Residence Life Office -> THEN goes to your student's building. It takes 1-2 extra days for delivery.
- DO NOT SEND PERISHABLES. For the same reason, mail takes awhile to reach us in our office and then another day to reach your student. While we know your students benefit from receiving frozen foods and treats, sometimes we end up with leaky packages and your student receives them wrapped in plastic bags..
- The residence halls are very diverse. We ask that you and your student prepare for this experience and arrive with an open mind and a desire to learn about others.
- Not sure about something? Call us. We love to talk to parents and answer your questions! You are a significant part of your student's lives and we would like to make your experience as positive as possible also.
We invite you to review our policy manual and the housing license agreement for more specific information regarding policies in the residence halls. These are also located under the Policy Manual tab of this website.
Important Dates (review the Checklist for Incoming Students)
If you haven't already, apply for Financial Aid. For aid to be in place by July 20 when bills are due, you need to complete the FAFSA application ASAP. It is highly recommended that you complete FAFSA at the same time you complete your tax return.
February 8 - March 11: Guaranteed housing application process for students currently in housing. Students should complete application, select roommates and select housing during this time.
March 21: Housing application opens for general population at 8:45am. General Population students do not select roommates or rooms. Assignments are based on answers to housing application to pair students. Placements are based upon application date and time.
April 7: Placement emails for students in general population go out and then will go out every week on Thursdays. Responses are due 10 calendar days following the placement email.
IMPORTANT DATES FOR FALL 2016 Move In
Anticipated to be updated by June 1st
IMPORTANT DATES FOR FALL 2016
December 1: Deadline for students to tell us they are not returning for Spring semester without penalty. ANY request to be released from housing after this date will have financial implications. Your student SHOULD know where they stand academically two weeks prior to finals.
December 22: Residence halls close for semester break at 10am. ALL STUDENTS MUST VACATE during this break. Halls re-open for spring semester on Monday, January 18 after 10am.
IMPORTANT DATES FOR Spring 2017
Anticipated to be updated by April 1st