Immunization & Health - Athletics
Requirements for Student Athletes
Planning on being an MCC athlete? MCC follows the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) requirements for all athletes.
Both new and returning athletes must have a sports physical each year, complete their portion of the health packet, and send these via mail or hand deliver to our office (no faxes will be accepted) by July 15th for Fall/Winter sports and by August 15th for Spring sports.
- First year athletes need to submit a completed Intercollegiate Athlete Physical (1st year) packet to Health Services.
- Returning Athletes (2nd year) are required to complete the Intercollegiate Returning Athlete Forms.
- A computer generated physical exam form from your MD is acceptable as long as appropriate sports clearance is given and you complete your portion of the physical exam packet as well.
- If you do not have a health care provider of your own, many urgent care centers provide physicals. However they cannot bill insurance for physicals like a private doctor can, so you will need to pay out of pocket (fees are usually $40-$75). UR Well offers free or very low cost physicals- click on the "About Us" tab on their webpage for limited locations and hours.
- You will be notified via email to your MCC student email if there is anything missing from the health packet.
- The clearance process takes 48 hours (or longer at busy times), so timely submission is important.
In addition to the Immunization Requirements of all students in the general student population, athletes must also show proof of a tetanus shot within the last ten (10) years
Insurance Requirements & Information
- Student Athletes are required to have a comprehensive insurance plan while participating on an athletic team.
- If you have already have comprehensive insurance, a copy of both sides of your insurance card needs to be turned in with your initial or returning athlete forms in order for you to be cleared for play.
- If you need to purchase insurance, please see our insurance page.
- If you are an international athlete who desires to waive the A.J. Flood insurance because you have comparable insurance which covers you in the US, you must provide a copy of the card to Health Services. You may then waive the insurance here. Please note- there is an early deadline on the AJ Flood website for waiving the insurance, usually just before the start of the semester.