Health Career Students
Health Services oversees the clearance process for clinical participation for all health career students. Certain health requirements must be met to protect both you and your patient in the following programs: Clinical Laboratory Technician, Dental Studies, Emergency Medical Services, Health Information Technology, Nursing, Radiologic Technology, and Surgical Technology. The required documents are detailed below.
We strongly encourage you to:
- Submit all of the documents as early as possible. The clearance process can take up to 72 hours so timely submission is important. The Health Services office is open year round, whenever classes are in session, to assist you.
- Be sure all documentation has been fully completed by both yourself and your healthcare provider before submission.
- Ensure that any paperwork sent in indicates which specific health career program you are in and has your name and student ID (M00) number on it.
- Monitor your student email account, as an RN will review your health packet and contact you via your student email if anything else is needed.
INITIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL HEALTH CAREER PROGRAMS
- The general immunizations required for all MCC students. Please be aware that religious exemptions from required vaccinations are not acceptable in clinical settings, per NYS Health Department regulations.
- Physical Exam Packet: You complete the first half, MD does the rest. We will accept a computer generated physical exam form, however your MD must also complete section 5 of page 5 of our health packet. If you do not have a healthcare provider to complete the physical exam, there are many urgent care centers in the Rochester area that can assist you, please click here.
- Hepatitis B vaccine series dates, or a signed declination of these.
- Tuberculosis Screening:
PPD test results (tuberculosis skin test) done within the past yearORIf you have had a past positive PPD, please complete a Tuberculosis Screening form and submit proof of a negative chest x-ray.
- Tetanus Booster - within 10 years (Tdap is recommended).
- Flu vaccine – is highly recommended for all health careers students. For clinical rotations, healthcare facilities will require you to wear a mask at all times if you do not have proof of receiving this vaccine.
- Varicella – Proof of immunity to the varicella virus (chickenpox). This can be accomplished in one of three ways:
- Documented history of chickenpox disease from your healthcare provider.
- Positive varicella immune titer now or from any time in the past (lab requisition is available from Health Services if needed- it can be emailed to you).
- Proof of two varicella vaccines given at least 28 days apart and on or after your first birthday (Please note- available titer tests are not generally sensitive enough to detect vaccine induced immunity to varicella, so titers after vaccination are not recommended. Proof of the two vaccines is sufficient).
You must submit the following information annually in order to continue in your program:
Official PPD (Tuberculin skin test) results with placement & read date – also offered in Health Services for 2nd year students at no charge.ORTB screening form for those with a history of a past positive PPD.
- Flu vaccine (see above)
The staff in Health Services wish you success in your chosen health career and are available to facilitate the process of clearance for clinical participation in any way we can. If you have further questions, please call us at 585-292-2018.