Health Services oversees the clearance process for all health career students. Certain health requirements must be met to protect both you and your patient, if you are in one of the following programs: Nursing, Dental Studies, Radiologic Technology, Emergency Medical Services, Clinical Laboratory Technician and Health Information Technology.
Required documents are detailed below. We strongly encourage you to:
- Be sure all documentation has been fully completed by both yourself and your healthcare provider before submission.
- Ensure that any paperwork sent in indicates which specific health career program you are in.
- Submit all of the documents as early as possible.The clearance process can take up to 72 hours so timely submission is important. The Health Services office is open year round, whenever classes are in session, to assist you.
- Monitor your student email account, as an RN will review your health packet and contact you via your student email if anything else is needed.
INITIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL HEALTH CAREER PROGRAMS
- If you have had a past positive PPD, please complete a
- Tetanus Booster - within 10 years (Tdap is recommended).
- Flu vaccine- is highly recommended for all health careers students. For clinical rotations, healthcare facilities will require you to wear a mask at all times if you do not have proof of receiving this vaccine.
- NURSING STUDENTS- have an extra requirement, which is proof of immunity to varicella (chickenpox). This can be accomplished in one of three ways:
- Documented history of chickenpox disease from your healthcare provider.
- Positive varicella immune titer now or from any time in the past (lab requisition is available from Health Services if needed- it can be emailed to you).
- Proof of two varicella vaccines given at least 28 days apart and on or after your first birthday.
You must submit the following information annually in order to continue in your program:
- Reassessment Form
- PPD (Tuberculin skin test) results with placement & reading date- also offered in Health Services for 2nd year students at no charge. OR
- TB screening form for those with a history of a past positive PPD.
- Flu vaccine (see above)
The staff in Health Services wish you success in your chosen health career and are available to facilitate the process of clearance in any way we can. Please call us if you have any questions at 585-292-2508.
If you do not have a healthcare provider to complete the physical exam, there are several clinics in the Rochester area that can assist you, please click here.