What to Expect in Your Session
You should expect to ask and answer questions about writing.
Professional tutors work alongside students to help:
- Organize and develop ideas
- Develop styles
- Address grammatical errors/concerns
- Work on research strategies and documentation
- Work on editing and proof-reading strategies
Professional tutors will not:
- Write or "fix" a paper for a student
- Proofread a student's paper (though they will work with students on proofreading and editing skills)
- Evaluate the instructor's teaching style, written assignment, or the grade given to written work submitted by a student
- Predict what grade a written assignment will receive or guarantee that an assignment will receive a good grade
Writing Center Guidelines for a Successful Tutoring Session
Questions to ask yourself:
- Have you turned off all cell phones and other electronic equipment?
- Did you log in at the Touch Screen Computer?
- Have you proofread your paper?
- Do you know when your paper is due? And, do you have time to complete revisions?
- What do you need help with today? Do you have the assignment with you? Can you come back if it is very busy?
- Do you know the hours of the Writing Center?
How it Works:
- You will be seen in the order that you log in at the Touch Screen Computer.
- You will be asked what specific help you need with your writing.
- You will be asked to describe or produce the assignment criteria for the tutor to evaluate.
- You will conference with a tutor for approximately 15-20 minutes about your writing, or 30 minutes if you have a scheduled appointment.
- You will receive handouts and exercises to empower you to resolve problems with mechanics, grammar, and proofreading.
Writing Center Rules
If you would like to use the Writing Center you must agree to adhere to the following behaviors:
- You must behave courteously with the Writing Center staff at all times
- You must follow all of the directions of the Writing Center staff
- No cell phones, pagers, food, beverages, or loud talking permitted in the Writing Center
- You cannot print graphics: Powerpoint, Frontpage, or Publisher, etc. in the Writing Center. (Please go to the Electronic Learning Center in 11-106.)