MTH 230 - Linear Algebra
Topics include systems of linear equations, vectors and matrices, determinants, vector spaces, linear transformations, eigenvectors and eigenvalues, and inner product spaces. Four class hours. Course offered Fall, Spring, and Summer.
Prerequisite: MTH 212 with a grade of C or better, or both MTH 211 and MTH 220 with a grade of C or better in each, or permission of instructor.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Solve systems of linear equations with Gaussian or Gauss-Jordan elimination.
2. Apply standard matrix operations.
3. Formulate the inverse of a square matrix or determine that the inverse does not exist.
4. Evaluate determinants of square matrices.
5. Classify sets of vectors in a vector space as linearly independent or dependent.
6. Identify sets of vectors in an inner product space as orthogonal or orthonormal.
7. Calculate the eigenvalues of a square matrix.
8. Produce a basis for the eigenspace of a square matrix associated with a given eigenvalue.
9. Construct a basis for the kernel of a linear transformation.
10. Construct a basis for the range of a linear transformation.