School: Business, Hospitality & EntrepreneurismCIP Code: 19.0505
MCC Program Code: HM08
NYSED Code (BRI): 01226
The Food Service Management Certificate program is designed for the student who has sufficient work experience in the production and service areas of the food industry and who would like to gain a deeper insight into food management areas for job enrichment, promotional consideration or possible future positions.
(Housed in the Hospitality Department)
Program Learning Outcomes
1) Demonstrate the ability to apply proper food handling techniques.
2) Apply different cooking techniques and predict their outcome.
3) Discuss current trends in the food service industry from a menu planning perspective.
4) Assess the factors that influence healthy food choices throughout the life cycle.
5) Demonstrate the basic fundamentals of cooking in a professional kitchen.
6) Provide basic supervision of employees in the hospitality environment.
7) demonstrate basic accounting skills.
8) Undertake basic activities associated with food purchasing, storage and handling in a hospitality environment.
Requirements for Program Entrance
Pre-Algebra (1 year high school math or placement into Level 3 Math at MCC).
|FIRST SEMESTER: 18 Credit Hours|
|FSA 103 Culinary Arts I: Fundamentals of Food Preparation||5|
|FSA 106 Food Safety and Sanitation||1|
|FSA 107 Menu Planning||3|
|FSA 205 Purchasing, Storage and Handling||3|
|SECOND SEMESTER: 17 Credit Hours|
|FSA 117 Basic Consumer Nutrition||3|
|ACC 101 Accounting Principles I OR|
ACC 110 Fundamentals of Accounting I AND ACC 111 Fundamentals of Accounting II OR
ACC 130 Introductory Accounting and Financial Analysis
|C E 260 Cooperative Education-Hospitality Management*||4|
|HSP 201 Hospitality Human Resources Management||3|
* CE 260 can be taken during the summer
NOTE: Please see Hospitality Management A.A.S. Degree – Food Service and Culinary Arts, for a degree option to the Certificate program.
Printer Friendly Version