OFFICE TECHNOLOGY - OFFICE ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
Department:Information and Computer Technologies
School(s): Business & EntrepreneurismCIP Code: 52.0401
MCC Program Code: OF02
NYSED Code (BRI): 01222
This degree program is designed to provide students with a broad background in business terminology and high levels of proficiency in computer skills that will enable them to perform successfully in diverse office support positions. This degree is designed to provide a core background in developing skills for technology, decision making, human relations, communications, and office management.
If an Intent to Graduate form is submitted five years after a student's completion of OFT 201, OFT 170, OFT 171, or OFT 173, the department reserves the right to withhold credit until the student has demonstrated competency in these courses.
(Housed in the Information and Computer Technologies Department)
Program Learning Outcomes
1) Demonstrate the soft skills needed to be successful as an administrative assistant (office support) which may include: punctuality acceptance of personal responsibility teamwork skills expressing a positive attitude under stress effective customer service skills or other related skills.
2) Demonstrate effective oral communication skills both in person and on the telephone.
3) Write effectively in an office environment in a variety of modes.
4) Exhibit proficiency in using a variety of current office-based software which may include: desktop publishing applications spreadsheets databases word processing or computer-based technologies.
5) Express themselves professionally in a business environment using well-established rules of proper grammar and sentence construction.
6) Transcribe messages as required on the job.
7) Apply fundamentals of basic business mathematics to workplace needs.
8) Apply fundamentals of basic accounting to workplace needs.
9) Describe the role of an office support staff professional and the contribution of that professional to the success of the whole office environment.
Requirements for Program Entrance
Algebra (1 year high school math or placement into Level 3 Math at MCC).
|FIRST SEMESTER: 16 Credit Hours|
|ENG 101 College Composition OR |
ENG 200 Advanced Composition
|ENG 250 Professional Communication OR|
SPC 141 Interpersonal Speech Communication OR
SPC 142 Public Speaking OR
SPC 143 Small Group Communication
|MTH 130 Modern Business Mathematics or higher||3|
|OFT 110 Keyboarding||3|
|OFT 141 Grammar for Professionals||4|
|SECOND SEMESTER: 16 Credit Hours|
|ACC 101 Accounting Principles I OR|
ACC 110 Fundamentals of Accounting I AND ACC 111 Fundamentals of Accounting II*
|BUS 135 Supervising for Quality||3|
|OFT 111 Intermediate Word I||3|
|OFT 170 Spreadsheet Applications-Excel||3|
|THIRD SEMESTER: 16 Credit Hours|
|SOCIAL SCIENCE ELECTIVE||3|
|OFT 112 Advanced Word II||3|
|OFT 171 Microsoft Access||3|
|PHYSICAL/HEALTH EDUCATION ELECTIVE||1|
|NATURAL SCIENCE ELECTIVE||3|
|OFT 173 Microsoft Multimedia Communications||3|
|FOURTH SEMESTER: 16 Credit Hours|
|SOCIAL SCIENCE ELECTIVE||3|
|OFT 201 Advanced Word II||2|
|OFT 202 Office Simulations||2|
|OFT 214 Administrative Office Procedures||4|
|OFT 240 Office Transcription||3|
|OFT 270 Office Seminar||2|
Printer Friendly Version