CIP Code: 51.0716
MCC Program Code: OF06
NYSED Code (BRI): 22421
NYSED Code (DCC): 22423
This one-year certificate program is designed to provide students with a firm foundation for the medical office environment. With the development of strong word processing and communication skills, transcription skills, and medical office protocol, the student is well on the path to a fulfilling career in the medical office support area.
(Housed in the Information and Computer Technologies Department)
1) Demonstrate the soft skills needed to be successful as an administrative assistant (office support) which may include: punctuality acceptance of personal responsibility teamwork skills expressing a positive attitude under stress effective customer service skills or other related skills.
2) Demonstrate effective oral communication skills both in person and on the telephone.
3) Write effectively in an office environment in a variety of modes.
4) Exhibit proficiency in using a variety of current healthcare-based office software which may include: desktop publishing applications medical databases or other medical-based computer applications.
5) Demonstrate competence in the use of medical office computer-based functions (coding scheduling billing financial reporting etc.).
6) Apply fundamentals of basic business mathematics to workplace needs.
7) Describe the role of a medical office support staff professional and the contribution of that professional to the success of the whole medical office environment.
Algebra (1 year high school math or placement into Level 3 Math at MCC). Demonstrated keyboard proficiency or completion of OFT 110. Keyboarding I.
|Distribution Requirements||Credit Hours|
|FIRST SEMESTER: 17 Credit Hours|
|OFT 111 Intermediate Word+||3|
|OFT 141 Professional Grammar and Communications||4|
|HIM 104 Medical Terminology||3|
|MTH 130 Modern Business Mathematics||3|
|BIO 133 Human Biology||3|
|HED 101 Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Care||1|
|SECOND SEMESTER: 15 Credit Hours|
|OFT 112 Advanced Word I||3|
|HED 115 Death and Dying OR |
HED 209 Drugs and Behavior
|OFT 267 Medical Office Documentation||3|
|OFT 268 Medical Office Procedures||3|
|OFT 173 Microsoft Multimedia Communications||3|