ACD 143 - Alcoholism/Chemical Dependency Counseling Skills
Development of specialized skills in individual counseling specific to the field of chemical dependency. A major component will be the in-depth consideration of each client's individual needs. (Carries MCC college credit and 45 hours N.Y.S. OASAS-approved credit.) Three class hours.
Prerequisite: ACD 140 with a grade of C or higher or taken concurrently.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Discuss individual counseling skills, which may include techniques of therapeutic communication, active listening,transference, and boundaries.
2. Assess needs of individuals and recommend or provide appropriate care, which may include crisis situations.
3. Evaluate treatment effectiveness for each client and adjust treatment techniques and levels as appropriate.
4. Develop, maintain and update treatment plans based on client diagnoses, progress, and needs.
5. Discuss issues of adherence to the Canon of Ethical Principles and Federal Regulations of Confidentiality with an understanding of how these relate to counselor responsibilities and continuing professional development.
6. Discuss case management skills, which could include consultation (Consent for Referral obtained), collaboration or advocacy.
7. Demonstrate confidence in 1:1 counselor/client interactions.
Course Offered Fall and Spring
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2018