ESL 201 - English for Speakers of Other Languages - Advanced II: Reading/Writing - WR
This course emphasizes the continuing development of reading and writing through the process approach. It includes informal writing, paraphrasing, summarizing, as well as essay writing. Students will focus on revising their writing and editing for correctness. Five class hours.
Prerequisite: ESL 130 or ESL 145 with a grade of C or better; or placement at Advanced Level on Proficiency Tests; or permission of program coordinator.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Demonstrate an awareness of strategies to use in reading academic material.
2. Demonstrate an ability to discuss material of an academic nature.
3. Write an expository essay on an assigned topic.
4. Demonstrate a familiarity with a number of rhetorical patterns for organizing written material.
5. Articulate a point of view relative to a topic and develop it clearly.
6. Develop an ability to recognize and eliminate many of the weaknesses in their writing.
7. Develop an ability to recognize and use more English vocabulary.
8. Use a computer for word processing and e-mail.
Course Offered Fall and Spring