DAS 227 - Dental Specialties Procedures
This course will focus on treatment procedures specific to a variety of dental specialty practices. Topics will include treatment procedures, instrumentation and armamentarium for treatment, patient education, pre and post- operative instruction, patient management techniques and the role and responsibility of the dental assistant in each specialty practice. Laboratory practice will focus on practice of competency skills including expanded functions that support and deliver patient treatment. One class hour and two laboratory hours per week.
Successful completion of all first semester DAS and DEN courses.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Describe the scope of practice of dental specialty practices.
2. Describe the treatment procedures related to each of the dental specialty practices.
3. Describe the dental materials utilized in each of the dental specialty practice.
4. Describe patient management techniques utilized in each dental specialty practice.
5. Describe patient education procedures utilized in each dental specialty practice.
6. Describe the role of the dental assistant in each dental specialty practice.
7. Demonstrate the legally delegated functions of a New York State licensed, certified dental assistant in each dental specialty practice.
8. Describe the interrelationship between each dental specialty practice and the general dental practice.
9. Describe how specific specialty procedures are integrated into general dentistry practice.
10. Compare patient safety measures in each dental specialty practice.
11. Describe infection control procedures within each dental specialty practice.
12. Describe ethical and legal issues within each dental specialty practice.
13. Describe communication techniques within each dental specialty practice.
Course Offered Spring only
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2018