MTH 150 - Survey of Mathematics
A study of various topics including an introduction to estimation, algebra, geometry, consumer mathematics, probability and statistics, with an emphasis on critical thinking and interpreting results. Other topics may be covered at the discretion of the instructor. Three class hours. MTH 150 is a common selection by Liberal Arts students with fewer than three years of high school mathematics. MTH 150 is not a prerequisite course for MTH 160 or higher. Although this course can satisfy your mathematics requirement for some MCC programs and transfer to some baccalaureate institutions, if you are planning to transfer please speak with an academic advisor or Career and Transfer to ensure that this course meets your goals. (SUNY-M)
Prerequisite: TRS 094 with a grade of C or better, or MCC Level 4 Mathematics placement.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Use estimation to approximate an answer.
2. Use geometric formulas to solve applied problems using unit conversions where necessary.
3. Compute interest for common loans.
4. Compute interest rates for common loans.
5. Compute payments for common loans.
6. Compute probabilities, odds, or expected value.
7. Interpret results from probability based calculations.
8. Interpret standard statistical graphs.
9. Calculate simple descriptive statistics for a given set of data.
10. Use common properties of a normal distribution to draw basic conclusions about the underlying data
Course Offered Fall and Spring