PERSONAL TRAINER/FITNESS INSTRUCTOR
This is a two-semester certificate program designed to prepare the student to enter the fitness industry. This is an ideal program for individuals who desire certification as personal trainers and fitness instructors, or for individuals who would like to expand their knowledge and skills in fitness for use with athletic teams, individual or group client situations, or personal development. Upon completion of this certificate students will be prepared to take the Cooper Institute Certified Personal Trainer (CI-CPT), the American College of Sport Medicine (ACSM) Certified Personal Trainer and the National Council on Strength and Fitness (NCSF) Personal Trainer Certification. (First Aid and CPR certifications are required by completion of the certificate).
1. Demonstrate competence in fitness assessment, diet assessment and personal living skills based on client data.
2. Develop individualized progressive fitness programs and plans based on client needs and goals.
3. Communicate appropriately with clients in both the conveyance of professional information and demonstration of socially appropriate interpersonal skills.
4. Accommodate the diversity of client characteristics and the changing nature of physical activity.
5. Demonstrate safe and current physical skills such as locomotor and non-locomotor movement skills, dynamic and static stretching, technique for free weight and technology assisted strength training, and functional exercise.
Requirements for Program Entrance
High School Diploma. High School Biology is recommended. MCC Level 8 Mathematics Placement
FIRST SEMESTER: 16 Credit Hours
ENG 101 College Composition
PPE 100 Introduction to Sport Science
PPE 208 Sports Psychology
SMT 215 Sports Management
SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - NATURAL SCIENCE ELECTIVE
SECOND SEMESTER: 12 Credit Hours
MTH 160 Statistics
PPE 155 Sport Performance Coaching
PPE 240 Selected Topics in Physical Studies
SMT 201 Cooperative Education - Sports Management