JPN 101 - Elementary Japanese I
Designed for students with little or no previous experience in contemporary Japanese. Emphasizes oral communication and listening comprehension skills. Also focuses in developing mastery of the Japanese writing system for basic reading and writing of simple sentences and short paragraphs. Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji characters are taught so that students will be able to communicate both orally and in written form in the most essential everyday life situations. Students will also learn Japanese customs, traditions and culture. Three class hours. (SUNY-FL)
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Accurately produce understandable simple sentences in Japanese.
2. Write understandable characters using the Hiragana or Katakana systems.
3. Write understandable sentences in Japanese using the present tense.
4. Accurately express simple social greetings and courtesies in Japanese.
5. Answer questions after listening to Japanese-spoken narrative, dialogue, or conversation.
6. Answer questions concerning a specific reading passage.
7. Identify basic facts and cultural traditions associated with Japan.
Course Offered Fall and Spring