CHI 101 - Elementary Chinese I
Designed for students with little or no previous experience in the language. Focuses on communicative skills of listening comprehension and speaking, and in developing mastery of the Chinese writing system for basic reading and writing of simple sentences and short paragraphs. Pin yin and Chinese characters are taught so that students will be able to communicate both orally and in written form in the most essential everyday life situations. Students will also learn Chinese customs, traditions, and culture.
SUNY General Education: SUNY-FL - Foreign Language (SFRL)
MCC General Education: MCC-AH - Arts and Humanities (MAH), MCC-BCO - Speaking (MBCO)
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Create simple sentences and basic expressions correctly using the four oral tones in the Chinese language.
2. Write understandable Chinese characters using the correct stroke order.
3. Accurately identify and translate Chinese characters.
4. Accurately respond in Chinese to questions about one or more of the following: family, hobbies, simple social greetings and courtesies, or weather.
5. Identify the celebrations and holidays that occur in the Chinese calendar.
6. Identify basic facts and cultural traditions associated with China.
Course Offered Fall and Spring