PHY 132 - Applied Physics II
A continuation of PHY 131. Topics to include the properties of materials, temperature, heat and thermodynamics, vibrational motion, wave motion, sound, and geometrical and physical optics. Three class hours, two laboratory hours.
Prerequisites: PHY 131; MTH 141 or MTH 165 taken concurrently or previously completed.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Solve a 1-step temperature and the kinetic theory of gases problem that requires algebra.
2. Solve a 1-step thermal expansion problem that requires algebra.
3. Solve a 2-step mechanical waves problem using algebra.
4. Solve a 1-step superposition and standing waves problem using trigonometry and algebra.
5. Solve a 2-step reflection and refraction of light problem using algebra.
6. Solve a 1-step interference and diffraction problem using algebra.
7. Demonstrate competency with basic lab instruments.
8. Differentiate between good and bad data.
9. Write a conclusion for a laboratory experiment.
Course Offered Fall and Spring