PHO 223 - Photojournalism and Documentation
An advanced course in applied photography that introduces the equipment, techniques, skills and concepts of a photographic document. Class includes both the creation of original documentary photographs, as well as the editing, sequencing, captioning and layout of a photo essay. Two class hours, two lab hours.
Prerequisite: COM 106 or PHO 106 or COM 113 or PHO 113 or permission of instructor
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Plan an impactful photo essay.
2. Shoot an impactful photo essay.
3. Discuss the ethical rules of photo journalistic professions.
4. Discuss the professional practices of photo journalistic professions.
5. Implement techniques for editing a photographic essay for print or digital media.
6. Implement techniques for layout of a photographic essay for print media.
7. Implement techniques for layout of a photographic essay for digital media.
8. Identify compositional elements used in photojournalism to heighten the impact of the story.
Course Offered Fall and Spring