COM 270 - Media and Society
An examination and analysis of American mass media and the forces that influence them. Emphasis will be placed upon basic legal principles, the role of government in attempting to regulate the media, and the media's influence on our society. Three class hours. This course fulfills the MCC requirement for a humanities elective.
Prerequisites: COM 101
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Discuss the impact of media ownership trends.
2. Analyze current issues in media law.
3. Apply research to illustrate the effects of media on society.
4. Discuss various media effects theories.
5. Discuss the role of media in the socialization process.
6. Discuss the role of media literacy in interpreting media messages.
7. Apply ethical principles to media messages using models of moral reasoning.
Course Offered Fall and Spring