MTH 104 - Intermediate Algebra*
A second course in algebra with an emphasis on quadratic and rational equations and their applications, and a brief introduction to right triangle trigonometry. Topics include, but are not limited to: solving equations involving quadratic, rational and radical expressions; performing arithmetic operations on rational expressions, complex numbers and radical expressions; evaluating functions and determining domain and range; graphing quadratic functions; solving systems of non-linear equations; simplifying expressions involving rational exponents; solving right triangle trigonometric problems; and appropriate applications of each of these topics.
Prerequisite: MTH 098 with a grade of C or better, or MTH 099 with a grade of C or better, or MCC Level 6 Mathematics Placement. *MTH 098, MTH 099, and MTH 104 are developmental courses. They do not fulfill a mathematics requirement for an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Solve quadratic equations.
2. Solve rational equations.
3. Solve radical equations.
4. Factor polynomials.
5. Perform arithmetic operations on rational expressions.
6. Perform arithmetic operations on complex numbers.
7. Perform arithmetic operations on radical expressions.
8. Determine the domain and range of functions written as a correspondence or a set of ordered pairs.
9. Determine the domain and range of functions graphically.
10. Evaluate functions using function notation.
11. Graph quadratic equations.
12. Solve systems of equations such as linear, linear-quadratic, and quadratic-quadratic.
13. Simplify expressions involving rational exponents.
14. Solve right triangle trigonometric problems using sine, cosine, or tangent functions.
15. Solve applications involving quadratic equations.
16. Solve applications involving rational equations.
17. Solve applications involving radical equations.
18. Solve applications involving systems of equations.
Course Offered Fall and Spring