BIO 144 - Human Anatomy and Physiology I
The first course of a 2-semester comprehensive study of the anatomy and physiology of the human body. Topics include body organization, homeostasis, cells and tissues, integument, skeletal system, muscular system, nervous system and special senses. Laboratory study includes microscope work, substantial organ and animal dissection, and experiments designed to illustrate normal function and physiologic responses to specific stresses. Designed for students in Nursing, Radiologic Technology and other health related programs.
A grade of C or better in a college biology course with lab (BIO 120, BIO 132/133, BIO 155) or a C or better in high school biology, in addition to a C or better in a college chemistry course (CHE 100, CHE 124, CHE 145, or CHE 151) or a C or better in high school chemistry.
SUNY General Education: SUNY-NS - Natural Sciences (SNSC)
MCC General Education: MCC-CT - Critical Thinking (MCT), MCC-SCI - Scientific Reasoning (MSCI)
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Use appropriate terminology related to human anatomy in selected organ systems.
2. Use appropriate terminology related to human physiology in selected organ systems.
3. Identify selected anatomical structures within the human body in selected organ systems.
4. Explain selected physiological functions in selected organ systems.
5. Explain the principle of homeostasis as it relates to selected human physiological processes.
6. Explain how feedback loops are used to control selected human physiological systems.
7. Explain selected anatomical and physiological interrelationships in selected organ systems.
8. Demonstrate or explain laboratory procedures used to evaluate selected physiological functions within selected organ systems.
9. Explain selected basic chemical processes occurring at the cellular level.
10. Describe selected processes of human cellular metabolism.
11. Create graphs depicting selected anatomical or physiological data.
12. Interpret graphs depicting selected anatomical or physiological data.
Course Offered Fall and Spring