MTH 141 - Technical Mathematics II*
An extension of the concepts developed in MTH 140. Topics included are complex numbers, higher degree equations, oblique triangle trigonometry, exponential equations, logarithms, systems of linear and quadratic equations, and inequalities. NOTE: A specific calculator will be required of all students in this course.
For 2018-19, this course remains SUNY-M
Prerequisite: MTH 140 with a grade of C or better or equivalent. *MTH 135, MTH 140 and/or MTH 141 are required in various technology programs. They do not fulfill a mathematics requirement for an Associate in Arts or Asscociate in Science degree.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Perform arithmetic operations on complex numbers.
2. Solve equations in quadratic form.
3. Solve systems of two linear equations in two variables algebraically, graphically, or by using Cramer’s Rule.
4. Solve systems of three linear equations in two variables by using Cramer’s Rule.
5. Find zeros of polynomial functions.
6. Use synthetic division or other methods such as factoring to solve higher degree polynomial equations.
7. Solve exponential or logarithmic equations.
8. Solve systems of two linear or quadratic inequalities in two variables graphically.
9. Apply the Law of Sines or the Law of Cosines to practical problems.
10. Generate graphs of functions which may include quadratic, exponential, or logarithmic.
Course Offered Spring only