ENG 202 - Modern British Literature
A survey of British literature from the late 18th Century to the present. Focus moves from romantic optimism and the belief in progress to the disillusionment produced by industrialism and global war.
Prerequisite(s): English 101 with a C or better, or placement into English 200, or instructor permission.
SUNY General Education: SUNY-H - Humanities (SHUM)
MCC General Education: MCC-AH - Arts and Humanities (MAH)
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Analyze British Literature written from the late 18th Century to the present.
2. Interpret literature as it relates to its historical, cultural, and/or political context.
3. Describe the relationships between various movements (such as Romanticism, Victorianism, Modernism, and/or Postmodernism) and the literature of the period.
4. Interpret literary works using critical perspectives.
5. Write a thesis-driven essay using literature as a primary source.
6. Apply appropriate formal conventions when writing about literature.
Course Offered Fall only