MTH 098 - Elementary Algebra*
A first course in algebra with an emphasis on linear equations and their applications. Topics include, but are not limited to: solving linear equations and inequalities, performing arithmetic operations on polynomials, factoring polynomials, solving quadratic equations, simplifying expressions containing integer exponents, graphing linear equations and inequalities in one and two variables, solving systems of two linear equations, and appropriate applications of these topics.
Prerequisite: TRS 094 with a grade of C or better, or MCC Level 4 Mathematics Placement. *MTH 098, MTH 099, and MTH 104 are developmental courses. They do not fulfill a mathematics requirement for an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science Degree.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Perform arithmetic operations on polynomials.
2. Evaluate an expression by applying the priority of operations.
3. Solve first degree equations in one variable.
4. Solve literal equations.
5. Factor polynomials.
6. Solve quadratic equations by factoring.
7. Simplify expressions involving integer exponents.
8. Graph linear equations on the Cartesian coordinate system.
9. Solve systems of linear equations in two variables.
10. Solve applications involving linear equations.
11. Solve and graph linear inequalities in one variable.
12. Graph linear inequalities in two variables.
Course Offered Fall and Spring