DEN 225 - Clinical Dental Hygiene IV
Improvement of clinical skills developed in DEN 215. Students will continue to develop advanced clinical skills, comprehensive dental hygiene treatment plan, total patient care and supportive periodontal treatment (SPT). Course includes radiographic evaluation. Students are required to recruit patients in order to meet clinical requirements.
Prerequisite: Successful completion of all previous semesters DEN courses with a grade of C or better.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Apply Center of Disease Control (CDC) guidelines in all clinical settings.
2. Apply Occupational Safety and Health Association (OSHA) guidelines in all clinical settings.
3. Apply the dental hygiene code of ethics when treating all clients.
4. Utilize Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) guidelines in all aspects of client management.
5. Utilize the dental hygiene process of care for all clients.
6. Interpret evidence-based scientific literature in dentistry.
7. Treat a variety of clients such as a Child, Adolescent, Adult, Medically Complex, and Geriatric with varying periodontal, physiologic, social, ethnic, and cultural needs.
8. Summarize client assessment data.
9. Individualize comprehensive client care.
10. Formulate evaluative written client summaries based on the dental hygiene process of care.
11. Write reflective summaries based on the completed dental hygiene process of care.
12. Document client care comprehensively.
13. Demonstrate timely independent practice while rendering dental hygiene treatment.
14. Demonstrate clinical skill competence required at the fourth semester dental hygiene level.
15. Demonstrate ability to work in a team based setting.
Course Offered Spring only