HIM 206 - Professional Practice Experience II
Continuation from HIM 205 with applied practical experience under the guidance of professionals in health information-related settings. Included will be a forum for Professional Practice experiences and professional development content including current issues in the health care and health information field, such as employment opportunities and search techniques; consulting for the health information practitioner; critique of department layouts, AHIMA certification exam application and preparation; continuing education requirements; and professional resources on the internet, including use of AHIMA Virtual Lab. Enrollment in HIM 206 is conditional upon satisfactory completion of medical requirements and clearance (by MCC Health Services). Continued enrollment is conditional upon satisfactory completion of each Professional Practice rotation. This course, is designated as "Writing Intensive," which will be reflected on transcript. One class hour, sixteen laboratory hours.
Prerequisite: HIM 205 and HIM 208, each with a minimum grade of C.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Interpret health information management (HIM) data content and standards.
2. Apply health information protection standards.
3. Utilize healthcare informatics, data, or analytics across the healthcare delivery system.
4. Utilize healthcare revenue management strategies.
5. Assess healthcare organization compliance with health information-related regulatory and accreditation standards.
6. Engage in health information leadership roles.
7. Comply with ethical standards of practice.
8. Integrate HIM prerequisite knowledge (anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, medical terminology, and computer concepts and applications) into HIM functions.
9. Integrate employment search skills to personal career mapping.
10. Model HIM professionalism through demeanor, participation, readiness for RHIT certification and understanding of continuing education requirements.
Course Offered Spring only