DAS 115 - Orientation to Dental Assisting Clinical Practice
This course will provide orientation activities and didactic coursework to prepare the students for the mandatory clinical externship experience. Coursework will include orientations to clinical externship facilities, review of policies and protocols, clinical observation requirements, HIPAA regulations and compliance and professional clinical practice issues. Twelve conference hours, 28 experiential hours.
Prerequisites: Successful completion of DAS 110, DEN 111, DEN 112, DEN 113, and DEN 211.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Apply policies and procedures required for each clinical site as presented in orientation materials and activities.
2. Describe the dynamics of the dental team in various practice settings.
3. Describe the function of and role of the dental laboratory.
4. Explain the objectives of Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
5. Describe how to achieve and maintain HIPAA compliance.
6. Describe best practices for patient management for a variety of patient populations, treatment procedures, or practice settings.
Course Offered Fall and Spring