PSY 206 - Abnormal Psychology
Includes a scientific and historical review of the study and treatment of psychopathology, discussion of the major theoretical orientations and the assumptions that underlie them, description of the major DSM disorders including their symptoms, and current treatments.
Prerequisites: PSY 101 with a grade C or higher.
MCC General Education: MCC-SSD - Social Science and Diversity (MSSD)
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Compare and contrast historical perspectives of abnormal behavior with contemporary views.
2. Compare and contrast various theoretical models of abnormal behavior.
3. Describe various treatments for abnormal behavior.
4. Analyze case material according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM) criteria.
5. Differentiate research methods used in psychopathology.
6. Critically evaluate research findings.
7. Evaluate contemporary issues in the mental health field.
Course Offered Fall and Spring