TRS 092 - Basic Mathematics
Students will develop competencies in basic mathematics. The emphasis will be on number theory related to whole numbers, fractions, decimals, proportions, and percents. There will be an emphasis on reduction of math anxiety, development of critical thinking skills, and practice using estimation theory and problem-solving methods. Students will use appropriate technology to reinforce their skills. Students will gain confidence in using math in everyday situations. Five imputed credit hours; no earned credits. Five class hours per week; five fee hours.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Perform arithmetic operations on whole numbers.
2. Perform arithmetic operations on fractions.
3. Perform arithmetic operations on decimals.
4. Solve ratio, rate and proportion problems.
5. Solve percent problems.
6. Compute and solve application problems.
7. Employ a minimum of two critical thinking skills (argument, analysis,reflection, metacognition, and problem solving)
8. Employ a minimum of two learning strategies (note taking, reading strategies, homework completion, time management, test preparation, self discipline and test taking strategies)
9. Demonstrate persistence and a positive attitude towards learning.
Course Offered Fall and Spring