CHI 203 - Intermediate Chinese I
Continued study in Chinese for those with a firm foundation in elementary Chinese communication, written and oral. Grammar and vocabulary are continued at a higher level so that the student develops strong reading and writing skills in order to create complex sentences and short paragraphs. In this class, the student will attain oral and listening skills to successfully function in a variety of daily situations. Cultural topics are included in the study of grammar and structure. Memory and length of time since last studied are factors in successful placement. Three class hours. (SUNY-FL).
Prerequisite(s): CHI 102, or successful completion of equivalent, or permission of the instructor.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Create grammatically correct sentences in Chinese using the present.
2. Create grammatically correct sentences in Chinese using the past.
3. Create grammatically correct sentences in Chinese using the future.
4. Answer questions concerning a specific reading passage.
5. Accurately ask and respond in Chinese to questions about one or more of the following: weather, health, current events, past, present, and future events, or friends and family.
6. Present an oral report in Chinese of the information contained in newspapers and other mass-market publications.
7. Identify the cultural traditions associated with China and Taiwan, as well as Chinese speakers worldwide.
8. Compose a brief essay using the Chinese writing system and characters.
Course Offered Fall and Spring