English For Speakers Of Other Languages
Courses are offered for limited English proficient students who wish to prepare themselves linguistically and culturally so they can successfully complete an academic program of study or pursue their career goals.
Courses range from an intensive program at the intermediate level to courses for general language development and specific skills at the higher levels. Placement in these courses is made on the basis of objective testing, a written evaluation, and an interview with an ESOL faculty member. Students, after evaluation, may be considered for admission into this program only if their skill level is appropriate for the courses offered. After the initial semester, students are expected to progress through the sequence of courses as listed. However, students must receive a grade of C or higher to advance to the next level. ESOL courses may be used to fulfill general elective requirements in degree programs if approved by the student's advisor.
Support services are available for students enrolled in ESOL courses. These include use of the Learning Assistance Center, tutoring, and advisement, both academic and personal.
NOTE: International students requiring F-1 visas are not eligible for admission into the ESOL program.
(Housed in the ESOL/Transitional Studies Department )
Program Learning Outcomes
1. Interpret works of Standard American English, which could include unsimplified newspaper or magazine articles, or level appropriate fiction or non-fiction books.
2. Summarize newspaper, magazine, or academic articles.
3. Make text to text, text to self or text to world connections.
4. Respond appropriately to teacher instructions or classmates’ comments.
5. Discuss course materials in various sized groups.
6. Write at the skill level needed to enter ENG 101.
7. Employ appropriate strategies for handling unfamiliar vocabulary words.
8. Apply computer skills at a basic level for purposes that may include word processing, email, online research, or using library databases.
|ESL 100 Intermediate II: Reading Focus||4|
|ESL 120 Intermediate II: Integrated Skills||7|
|ESL 130 Advanced I: Integrated Skills||7|
|ESL 201 Advanced II: Reading/Writing||4|
|ESL 138 ESOL: Pronunciation||2|
|ESL 158 ESOL: Oral Communication||3|
|ESL 125 ESOL: Multi-Skills I||3|
|ESL 145 ESOL: Multi-Skills II||4|
|ESL 201 ESOL-Advanced II: Reading/Writing||4|