100% of this program can be completed online.
This program will provide didactic education and clinical training in chairside dental assisting procedures, manipulation of dental materials, laboratory procedures, radiographic techniques, specialty assisting procedures, infection control procedures and expanded functions permitted by state regulations for an individual that is currently employed as a Dental Assistant in New York state. The program will offer units in the biomedical sciences content areas, oral histology and embryology, pathology, therapeutics, the legal and ethical aspects of dentistry and coursework in and oral and written communications and behavioral concepts. This program will include at least 500 hours of relevant clinical experience in the practice of dental assisting. The D.A.R.T. certificate program is not financial aid eligible.
NOTE TO STUDENTS: To remain in the program students must receive a grade of C or better in all courses prefixed DAS and a grade of C- in all courses prefixed DEN.
(Housed in the Health Professions Department)
Program Learning Outcomes
1) providing patient education
2) taking preliminary medical histories and vital signs to be reviewed by the dentist
3) place and remove rubber dams
4) select and prefit provisional crowns
5) select and prefit orthodontic bands
6) remove orthodontic arch wires and ligature ties
7) place and remove matrix bands
8) take impressions for study casts or diagnostic casts
9) remove periodontal dressings
10) remove sutures placed by a licensed dentist
11) take impressions for space maintainers, orthodontic appliances, and occlusal guards
12) remove temporary cement
13) apply topical anticariogenic agents to the teeth
14) apply desensitizing agents to the teeth
15) place and remove temporary separating devices
16) place orthodontic ligatures
17) take dental x-rays in accordance with Public Health Law
18) perform such other dental supportive services authorized by the dentist and consistent with New York State laws, rules and regulations.
For related jobs: Career Coach
Occupational Resource: http://www.onetonline.org
Requirements for Program Entrance
Completed physical examination. High school graduate or high school equivalency diploma. CPR certification. The online option is for currently employed Dental Assistants with a sponsoring dentist.
|Distribution Requirements||Credit Hours|
|FALL SEMESTER: 7 Credit Hours|
|DAS 110 Preclinical Dental Assisting||4|
|DEN 111 Dental Radiography I||2|
|DEN 113 Barrier Precautions and Infection Control Measures||1|
|SPRING SEMESTER: 8 Credit Hours|
|DAS 117 Biomedical Foundations for Dental Assisting Practice||3|
|DAS 121 Dental Assisting Clinical Experience||1*|
|DAS 227 Dental Specialties Procedures||2|
|DEN 211 Dental Materials||2|
| TOTAL CREDITS|| 15|
|TOTAL EQUIVALENT CREDITS|| 24*|
* Equivalent credit hours = 10 credits.
NOTE to Students: To remain in the program students must receive a grade of C or better in all courses prefixed DAS and a grade of C- in all courses prefixed DEN. An option exists to "place out" of certain courses. Inquire with the program director in regard to this option.
Printer Friendly Version