Department: Visual and Performing Arts
CIP Code: 09.0101
MCC Program Code: CM01
NYSED Code (BRI): 84485
The Communication and Media Studies program provides an excellent foundation in liberal arts and sciences, emphasizing courses in writing, speaking, and the media. This program prepares students for transfer in areas such as journalism, media, public relations, corporate communications, and advertising.
(Housed in the Visual and Performing Arts Department)
Program Learning Outcomes
1) Demonstrate competency in the speaking and listening communication skills expected of a future professional to inform persuade and engage others.
2) Demonstrate competency in written communication skills to produce professional communication documents for specific audiences and situations that inform promote or entertain.
3) Produce and evaluate communication messages through a variety of critical and creative approaches.
4) Employ the ability to process information in a variety of contexts.
5) Explain the historical development of the mass media in the United States placing that history in context to its current trends.
6) Explain the influence the mass media has in shaping society.
7) Practice the ethical and legal standards in the mass media and other professional communication practices.
For related jobs: careercoach.monroecc.edu
Occupational Resource: http://www.onetonline.org
Requirements for Program Entrance
Algebra (1 year high school math or placement into Level 4 Math at MCC).