PPE 211 - Selected Certifications in Youth Sport
This course is designed to provide essential certifications for pre-service and in-service professionals in the field of health and physical education, coaching and athletics. Specifically, students will participate in the required experiences leading towards certification in Safe Schools Against Violence in Education (SAVE), Dignity For All Students Act (DASA), Mandated Reporter, Heads-Up Concussion Training and Youth Sport Coaching curricula in New York State.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Identify strategies for preventing various types of child abuse, neglect, or violence in schools.
2. Identify strategies for identifying various types of child abuse, neglect, or violence in schools.
3. Identify strategies for reporting various types of child abuse, neglect or violence in schools.
4. Describe bullying behaviors.
5. Explain various responses to bullying behaviors, which could include: prevention, intervention, and mandatory reporting procedures.
6. Identify strategies for prevention and recognition of traumatic head injury in sports.
7. Develop a responsive and responsible coaching philosophy for youth sport, which could include such aspects as: athlete development, risk management, injury prevention or skill development.
Course Offered Fall and Spring