New and Updated Course Descriptions
HSM 107 - Social Media: Issues and Impacts
An introduction to the field of social media. This course will define and explain social media and its impact on personal, organizational and global security. The course will address issues related to the responsible and effective use of social media; and the exploitation of information for social, economic, political and criminal gain. Students will need to access and use social media apps as part of this course. Three class hours. 3 Credits. Course offered Fall and Spring
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Conduct cyber research and investigations via social media.
2. Describe the advantages and disadvantages of various applications of social media.
3. Distinguish the social, economic, political and legal ramifications of social media on society.
4. Explain the laws, government policies and strategies pertaining to the current use of social media.
5. Use social media in an ethical and responsible manner.
6. Analyze the communication process as it occurs through social media.
7. Describe how social media impacts cultural, economic, political, social or legal issues.
Course Offered Fall and Spring
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2017
Spring Semester 2018