CIP Code: 50.0701
MCC Program Code: FA01
NYSED Code (BRI): 22249
The mission of the Fine Arts Program at Monroe Community College is to prepare students for transfer to four-year institutions, where degree programs are available that provide entry into a variety of art related professions.
It is the goal of the Fine Arts degree program to provide students with the fundamental skills and concepts necessary for a solid foundation in the visual arts. We believe that the core curriculum that we have structured will offer students the opportunity to become proficient in a variety of studio art procedures and practices. Courses in drawing, two-dimensional design, painting, figure drawing, three-dimensional design, art history and sculpture are coupled with a strong liberal arts curriculum, so students will be well prepared for advanced coursework in their chosen disciplines.
(Housed in the Visual and Performing Arts Department)
1) Utilize the elements and principles of art and design in the creation of two-dimensional works.
2) Utilize the elements and principles of art and design in the creation of three-dimensional works.
3) Demonstrate proficiency in perceptual drawing translating observation to image.
4) Create works of art using a range of art materials.
5) Analyze works of art and design including their own using formal art terminology verbally and in writing.
6) Identify a range of basic art historical periods and styles.
Pre-Algebra (1 year high school math or Placement into Level 3 Math at MCC). Art courses recommended.
|Distribution Requirements||Credit Hours|
|FIRST SEMESTER: 15 Credit Hours|
|ENG 101 College Composition OR |
ENG 200 Advanced Composition
|MTH 150 Survey of Mathematics (or higher)||3|
|ART 102 Fine Arts: Theory and Practice||3|
|ART 104 Drawing I||3|
|ART 109 Two Dimensional Design||3|
|SECOND SEMESTER: 15 Credit Hours|
|SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION LITERATURE ELECTIVE||3|
|SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION SOCIAL SCIENCE OR OTHER WORLD CIVILIZATIONS ELECTIVE||3|
|ART 118 Perspectives of Art History I: Ancient||3|
|ART 125 Three Dimensional Design||3|
|ART 154 Drawing the Human Figure||3|
|THIRD SEMESTER: 16 Credit Hours|
|SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION NATURAL SCIENCE ELECTIVE||3|
|ART 119 Perspectives of Art History II: Modern||3|
|ART 120 Painting I||3|
|ART 130 Sculpture I||3|
|FOURTH SEMESTER: 16 Credit Hours|
|SOCIAL SCIENCE ELECTIVE||3|
|ART 204 Drawing I||3|
|ART 220 Painting II OR ART 230 Sculpture II||3|